Wednesday 8 May 2019

The skeleton monster I found on the street

So today I have a little something that didn't take too long to paint, nor was it particularly difficult. Perhaps it would be fair to say that this model was in now way exceptional or even particularly interesting. However, even if the model itself isn't too unusual the story of how I acquired it is. You see, as the title of this post suggests I found this on the side of the road. The story of which I shall reveal bellow.

Taken outside on the balcony again. Caught the last of the sunlight, need to keep in mind the shortening days
So how did I find this little guy? Well I was out walking with a friend one evening and there in the corner of my vision I notice something on the ground. Now after working in litter picking for a while I have developed quite the ability to spot random objects on the ground so noticing this model wasn't too difficult. I quickly picked it up and put it in my pocket. Later when I got home I noticed that it actually worked quite well size wise with 1/72 miniatures. However, I still have no idea what it is, who makes them or why it came to be by the side of the road? If anyone has any clues as to what this may be please let me know. Anyway here are some more pictures.

I wasn't sure what I wanted for the base at first. In the end I decided to go for this patchy effect to give the earth itself a kind of undead look

Where this guy lives I am not sure yet. Perhaps some strange cemetery? Maybe an ancient temple. Hard to say really.

A figure for scale. Decided that this man and his crucifix would be appropriate facing a this unholy creature.

Then again perhaps this creature is merely misunderstood and in need of a guy. Probably a good meal too.
So there you have it my fun little find and the story to go with it. Still trying to guess what this is meant to be. It reminds me of some dinosaurs but I can't place it. Also makes me think of dogs, perhaps it was once the pet of some ancient king who is back to protect the resting place of his master? Perhaps he can be multiple things.

Anyway that is all for now. Working away slowly at various things. Unlikely to have anything to show you for the near future at least. Of course I also have all those new models to contend with too. Perhaps a few shall be fast tracked into painting for some personalities.
Yet until next time I wish you all a good day/night. ::)

7 comments:

  1. Who knows what mysteries lie or strange creatures lurk in the deep jungles of Oronegro. Perhaps the intrepid explorer Stanley Park Quatermain with his ecclesiastical companion the Reverend Lucas Gosport DD, accompanied by a train of porters and guides might have undertaken an expedition of discovery to determine the source of the Nile, the location of King Solomon's Mines or the Fountain of Youth, of the Oronegrin equivalents thereof...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some excellent ideas. With the Spanish Guerillas set there's a priest with crucifix and blunderbuss which is no doubt an excellent mini for such a role. Indeed that set is full of lively characters who will be excellent for such story telling.

      Delete
  2. I think you found the remains of one of these guys. It's a great looking little skeleton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah indeed. What an interesting find. A live version of my little plastic friend. These must be the remains after the great plastic dinosaur extinction of '03.

      Delete
  3. Poor wee Thing..it starved to death at the side of the road!!!:-(
    EY is right, it´s an ankylosaurus, most possibly from one of those Dinosaur Fossil Digging Excavation Kit Kids.
    I like it..good find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah of course! Why hadn't I thought of that? Of course it must be from one of those fossil digging sets can't think of anywhere else it would be from.

      From Facebook too most people agree that this poor thing just needs a hug and a good meal. Glad there's a concensus on this.

      Delete
  4. they come in little 'excavation' blocks from shops like Tiger... I never thought of using them but now I will!

    ReplyDelete