Tuesday 2 April 2019

Las Minervas, 18th century female infantry

Hello everyone today I have something rather special. Las Minervas the 8th regiment of the line in the Oronegrean army. A unit entirely composed of very tall pagan women. Sounds strange? Well you can find out more about them here, on my Oronegro blog. They were fun to paint and creating a flag for them was also fun as I had managed to lose my file full of Oronegrean flags meaning I had to start from scratch. I do believe that the new ones I have made are better although perhaps this didn't turn out so well in this instance due to pre-moulded flag and the paper one not working together well. Still I hope you enjoy them.

Las Minervas, the regiment of La Tierra del Diablo (land of the devil), one of Oronegro's founding units and one of her most special.

The uniform of Las Minervas is quite different from the rest of the soldiers. While the colours remain the same Las Minervas are proud of their uniqueness and their uniform is designed to set them apart from their male comrades.

Painting metal miniatures is a quite unusual for me and there was a few small breaks I had to fix, notably one of the muskets had to be glued back on and made firm with putty. However, the difference is not as easy to notice now they are done.

Coming up with a slogan was difficult. In the end I chose Lágrimas de plomo" - "tears of lead." This is based on the fact that Minerva herself was often depicted in mourning for the dead of war. As such I wanted to include some reference to that. Las Minervas like their goddess also cry but their tears are lead bullets

This banner represents one of many I have come up with each for unique units in the Oronegrean army. There's square ones like this and rectangular ones (more like the original I did). Each includes a number, a unit name and some symbols depending on the unit's role.

Rosa Alexandra Minervista the commander of Las Minervas, she would go on to be one of Oronegro's finest generals.



Once again the macro camera reveals that I didn't actually manage to get that damn hair off when I had a go at it with the tweezers.

las Minervas on Parade. I would love it if more of the marching figures could be made separately so that a larger unit could be made.

Finally, I mentioned that these women are tall. Here's a comparison. The figures themselves stand around 27mm tall. This translates to around 194cm tall or 6'4" which is huge for their time and they do indeed tower over their male counterparts
Well that is all I hope you enjoyed this post. I just want to give a little shout out to Paul from Paul's Bods who painted these beautiful women a few years ago. No doubt Bodstonia's Purple Roses and Las Minervas have a deep respect for one another as fellow sisters in warfare.

I don't have any models that are immediately near completion so it will be a little bit before the next one. I do hope to get something else out before the end of April. However, until then, I wish you all a good day/night.

1 comment:

  1. The women are excellent and a fine addition to Oronegro forces!

    ReplyDelete