Saturday 11 January 2020

Special Forces/Mercenaries 1

Happy New Year to you all. I hope that the new year finds you all well. The new year is usually a time for new things. However, today I actually bring you something that has been years in the making. This figures were sent to me many years ago by Winttrix (Emmett) Some have actually featured on the blow before. However, they were in need of touch ups where they had chipped. Now, finally, I have finished them. I hope you like them, however, please keep in mind that the credit is to Emmett who is responsible for 90% of the work.

A Special Forces team? A mercenary unit or a well equipped militia. These figures have many uses.

Working on these figures got me thinking more carefully about camouflage. Matching Emmett's work was a challenge.

Once again making use of the summer sun. Although it is quite harsh, fortunately the photos turned out okay.

Something I like about these figures is the mix of colours, something that you don't get with those in uniform.

Repainting the gun to match Emmett's work was a very difficult task in this case.

Tried to get his face in this one. It is okay but I think the sculpting is not the best. Although it is decent enough.

Another part that needed a lot of touching up was the hat. Which actually turned out really well much to my surprise.

Yeeeeeehaaaawwwwww......... had to get that out of my system.

File under impressive moustaches too.

Emmett painted the stetson really well so it was quite the task for me to touch it up without ruining it.

A lot of work needed to be done on the back of this figure too.

Perhaps the most complex to touch up was this figure where I had to match the camouflage with the paints I had.

Another decision was to paint the grip of the gun. It works well and matches the look of what Emmett did.

I have not done anything at all to the bases. They are quite simple and I like them a lot. I think I will do similar in future.

The final photo. The last hear but hopefully one of the first for the new year. 
Well that is all for today. I hope that you have enjoyed this post. As you can probably guess from the title more Special Forces/Mercenaries are coming up. Some more are those painted by Emmett that I have touched up. Others are ones that I am painting from scratch and which will take more time.

Something to look for in future is me actually trying to do camouflage patterns correctly. I went along to my first meeting of the Auckland Wargaming Club last month. Didn't play any games but it was quite fun to watch them. One thing I did realise was that it would be hard to find others willing to play in the Oronegro setting at least initially. So I will use the old try but true trick of painting units up as if they were the real thing, but using them as whoever in the fictional world. To that end the Soviets, West Germans and Cold War British (and others) I got recently are likely going to be painted correctly, or as close as I can do. Painting up these special forces with their mixed camouflage is good practice for this.

Anyway as an aside I am also going to post a photo I took about a week ago. This was the sky at about 2pm, the photo was taken from the same balcony as the photos above. It has not been touched up in any way. The cause, the fires in Australia. For those unaware of the scale, that's over 2,000 km away. For those of my followers in the US, that's as if fires in Texas turned the skies in New York orange. The scale is quite horrifying. To put it simply the world that afternoon seemed apocalyptic. My heart goes out to those brave people fighting the fires over there and those who's homes have been lost or are still at risk. May rain come sooner rather than later.

Apocalyptic. That's how it felt. Dark at 3pm on a summers day. Totally unreal.
Anyway let us hope that this year will be a good one. I wish you all the very best, have a good day/night and I will see you all next time.

7 comments:

  1. Great stuff Gowan,

    Keep building up your forces, good job on those.

    The fires have been terrible where my family live and they list farmland and livestock.

    All the best with your projects and plans in 2020

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. I wish the best for your family in such difficult times. All the best for 2020 to you too.

      Delete
  2. Good job on nice figures !
    I'm chocked with the fires in your country. Sad and terrifying.
    I hope that it could be stopped.
    That's my wish for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly.

      The smoke here is from the fires in Australia, which has travelled over 2,000 km across the sea. However, we are getting into our fire season here in NZ too, which is not as bad as that of Australia, our climate and ecosystem being quite different. Although we're expecting to have a bad fire season this year. Already one fire has lasted three days and expected to grow.

      I too wish that these fires (both here, Australia and elsewhere) would go out. So much destruction to the point that ecosystems will not recover. Some environments experience rebirth after the flames pass. Not flames like this though, not ones of this scale.

      Delete
  3. One has the feeling Roland the Thompson gunner might be in that group somewhere (before that SOB van Owen got him). Skies were pretty brown here about a week back. Much clearer since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. Sorry for taking so long in reply. It has been a busy time up here in the big city. Finally getting some rest, if only brief.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete