Friday 14 August 2020

Back from the Undead

 Well between coming in and out of lockdown, illness, breaking my arm and the all consuming reality of full time work... it has been a long time since I could sit down and make a most, or at least felt up to it. So yes, here I am back WITH the undead (please do not shoot me for the puns, I know I deserve it but still). One of the things that I have been quite enjoying during these trying times is painting zombies, they are relatively quick, relatively easy, but oh so satisfying. So here's my little horde as it stands right now, as you can see I have been experimenting with photography. Not entirely satisfied, but they will do.

Got Braaiiiiinnnnssss????

These two have to be my favourite, I really like how they both turned out.

Fun fact the one on the right somewhat resembles a co-worker, which terrified me while I was painting and was actually unintentional.

One in the middle was very fun to paint, tried to make the skin as gross as possible. Something I mean to outdo with a later miniature.

Zombies are far less threatening from behind.

And here's the B team, not as happy with these guys, sorry.

Okay the crouching one is pretty cool, the others need to go back to zombie school.

The big zombie makes a comeback, here with his.... groupies? Do zombies have groupies?

And the bikini zombie was quite fun to paint, messing with skin tones is certainly advised.

Well that's all for today, more is on the way but it will take some time. Although there will be posts as I do have some completed stuff that is ready to show right now. But I will wait another day before posting those.

One thing you will notice is the gloss. I have varnished these figures. I used Humbrol Clear Satin Varnish, but when applied from the brush it seems far too glossy. I am not that happy with the look but I do value that protective cover for the paint. I used the Matt Varnish before, but that killed any shading the figures had and made them generally quite lifeless. Maybe I should apply it with an airbrish? If you have any tips (or should I say, if you could pick your braaaiinnnnssss?) I would love to hear them.

Anyway that's all for today. I wish you all a very good day/night, stay safe, stay healthy and I will catch you around.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work Gowan. Altough not my era, i do like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Although one would hope that no era shall contain zombies.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers, plenty more where they came from. Hard to have a horde that is too large.

      Delete
  3. Nice blog! I like a lot your porposals..
    Hope to see those soviets fighting the zombies some toime hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, that's certainly part of the grand plan. Have some survivor figures on the way which I hope to show off soon.

      Delete