Wednesday 9 September 2020

Currently Reading: Books on Soviet Tanks

Well I don't have pictures of my models to show due to having had a very busy weekend with many other engagements. So those pictures and their associated stories will have to wait for the time being. In the meantime something of a book review. I have been reading through the series of books by James Kinnear and Stephen L. Sewell. I have already finished their book on the T-55 and the T-10 and I am currently reading the one on the T-54.

The covers area really nice and judgement of the cover in this case does match the quality content inside.

So what do you get inside? Well quite a lot, a lot of pictures both historical and of surviving vehicles, perfect for anyone wanting to recreate these in miniature. You also get a good deal of information which is presented in a balanced, clear and concise manner. The topics range of specific differences between variants to the behind the scenes story of their production. It may not be the most riveting stuff, certainly not Game of Thrones. However, it is interesting (admittedly one guy did get sent to Siberia for getting into an argument about torsion bar suspension, so there are some stakes to the drama.)

Overall good quality titles and I probably will pre-order their upcoming book on the T-62 at some point. That being said I did notice some editing and layout issues, this impacted the T-10 book the most with labels referring to images on the left that were on the right, etc. There was also some repetition but nothing too major.

Overall I give them 8.5/10. Would recommend them, especially on a discounted price. I got my copies from Book Depository, and they took around a month to get from the UK to NZ (they would usually only take a week and a half, but delays are the least of my worries given present circumstances.)

Oh and as for models, well I don't have any assembled versions of any of these tanks. I do have some work in progress T-55s and I am sure that the book will be useful in painting up those (although I have very simply wargaming kits from Plastic Soldier, lovely quality mind). I am interested in seeing when Trumpeter's promised T-10M will drop to add to my collection of IS-tanks.

Anyway, if you have any questions about these books please do not hesitate to ask I will be more than happy to give you more information. As stated more models on the way (when I get photos), but until them I wish you all the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment