Saturday 28 July 2012

how to: shingled roof.

shingled roofs are a very common type of roof, whether, wood, slate or metal shingles are an easy way to make any building look real. so let me show you how I make them...
Materials;

  1. card (cereal boxes are good)
  2. PVA glue
  3. scissors or a craft knife
  4. paint
  5. and a surface you want to roof
Step1: cut the card into thin strips, you could use a paper shredder to make it uniform but where is the fun in that?
sorry about the fuzzy pics
 Step2: find the correct length for the roof, then cut appropriately
this is the roof to the corner shop the one that used to have the black tarpoline over the top, I decided it needed replacing
 Step3: cut the card but not all the way across so that you make it look like a series of tiles. I recomend you leave a good 2-3mm of uncut card at the side
really really sorry about the pics, it's hard to work and take photos at the same time

this is the desired result!
 Step4: carry making small cuts along the strip of card, once done glue down onto the roof
there we go now just loads more to do
 Step5: repeat the previous processes but glueing each new strip of card lightly further back than the other so that it hides the uncut area.
getting there

sometimes adding more card underneath is necessary to get the right gradient
 Step6: keep going until you reach the edge, then cut a thicker strip of card and fold it over the edge, then cut the whole side that is over the roof. if you are making a normal roof cut the strip into rectangles and fold them over the top
you should end up with something like this after a while
 Step7: paint in whatever fashion you like
here is an example I prepared earlier the church roof.
there you go guys hope you have enjoyed this tutorial.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool mate, wish I had your patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing patient work Gowan, nicely done and explained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple "how to", and a good one!
    thanks Gowan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good, got to try this myself as well some day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out really good! I'm surprised!

    Well done and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one.
    The worst thing i find, apart from the bits getting stuck to my fingers is getting the tiles to overlap properly, ie; the rows are staggered.
    Good tutorial.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic James!! Very nicely done!!

    VS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very tedious looking but it has a fantastic result! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks the biz, all right! I use the same method, but with a couple of small differences. First, I measure the width of the slates so that I can get a more regular 'brickwork' arrangement. The other is that I trim a tiny bit off the bottom corners of each individual 'slate'. This isn't really necessary, but I just like the way the roofs look with this treatment.

    You have obviously used thin cardboard for your roofs. I have discovered that thin cardboard - possibly even simply a heavy paper stock - allows the shingle roofs to sit flatter.

    I also finish of the ridges in one piece, scoring and bending the whole thing to fit. Along the score line, then lay a thin strip of thicker cardboard on its side, or, better yet, some sort of round rod (thin skewer, tooth pick, plastic rod, spaghetti noodle).

    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually I do trim the edges off. it does give the best appearence and on the church I did measure out the strips. but I decided in this tutorial that I'd keep it nice and simple

      Delete