Tuesday 1 October 2019

Refurbished Challenger 2 O2 tanks

Well it is story time again this time it is a tragedy turned to an epic. This is the story how after years of neglect and abuse I took back two broken and battered model tanks and brought them to life once more! Some of you may well remember when I posted these originally many years ago. But since going to university they stayed, along with much of my collection, with my parents while I moved to the city. Well I am slowly bringing back these lost souls, and while some still are missing in action (I haven't found my beloved and even more damaged Leopard 2A5 or T-90 yet), I am breathing new life into these sadly neglected friends.

A Challenger pair advance across the plains at night.
 The first few photos I spruced up a little with the basic image editing software. Took them at night (what time could be more appropriate to photograph stealth tanks?) which sadly means that the images don't turn out too well as my camera really dislikes artificial light, under the bulbs I have.

I kept the colour scheme. Except the identification panels (I incorrectly these ERA before) are now painted grey.
By now you have probably noticed the slight alterations I have made to the Challenger 2 on the right. Well let us first go over how I found this model. The main gun barrel had been completely snapped off, furthermore the roof mounted GPMG had also come off. The I considered various options to replace the barrel from spur parts to sculpting around a wire. Finally I decided that the easiest and most effective option would be to use the ink well of a pen (I have plenty of empty ones because I never clear out my pencil case). Used cardboard wrapped around it for the fume extractor, attached to the turret with a piece of wire inside to help keep the connection strong. Not 100% happy with the fume extractor but overall I think the barrel looks quite good.

The two tanks now appear to be on Mars. What incredible machines!
Now because of the significant size difference between the two I will consider the new gun to be of a larger calibre. Perhaps 130mm, which is a calibre being developed for NATO use and could fit quite well. Now as for rifled/non-rifled not too sure. Perhaps rifled to follow British tank conventions. The purpose of this larger gun would be to provide long range support for the more heavily armoured member of the Challenger pair. This would be within both offensive and defensive operations.

Back to night operations again. Or perhaps they are now on a planet entirely made of coal?
By now you are probably screaming at me that I have not mentioned the elephant in the room: What the heck is that on the turret roof!? Oh? That small thing. That is the Cupid ATGM system. Just like their namesake they rarely miss and they back a lot of HEAT. (I have bad puns for days). To complement the main gun in long range missions these ATGMs provide the Challenger 2 O2 greater flexibility and versatility in overcoming enemy threats. The launcher itself is from a Warhammer 40,000 Tau powersuit shoulder launch system (got some miniatures gifted to me). As this particular model had lost it's GPMG I decided that instead of going for a conventional replacement I would be a little more creative. Think this was a good solution? Let me know what you think.

The photos below were not edited to improve the picture quality. Not much I could do without breaking out more serious software so I hope that you do not mind too much. Should have taken the photos earlier but I didn't have much time earlier in the day.

Yes I did take far too many frontal shots. No I didn't think that I could have reasonably deleted any.

Side shots, about the only way to really hope to take one of these tanks on. The Oronegrean Challenger is a tough nut to crack! Using advanced and highly classified composites and materials the frontal arc is all but impervious to rival tanks.

A rear view. Displaying the spare fuel tanks for the back up diesel engine. I am still going with advanced hydrogen fuel cells (or perhaps merely using that as a cover for something more fantastical) as the main powerplant

Classic buddy cop pose of walking together targeting different baddies. Perhaps the Men in Black drive the Tanks in Black?
Well that's all for today. Bringing these two back to life was a very fun activity. They are joining their little friend the T92 in a new storage box, sadly they suffered their damage because they were left in my old room at my parents' place. Overtime things got put on top of them. Sadly not being there I could do nothing to prevent it.

I also have a bit of personal news to announce. As you know for the last 6 years or so I have been studying away at the University of Auckland working towards a Bachelors of Urban Planning (honours). Well that endeavour is almost complete I am happy to say. It has been a long road coming and these final couple months will be some of the toughest yet. However, the end is indeed in sight and I have already got myself a job as a graduate planner that I will take up once I complete my studies. It will mean full time work and hopefully a return to a structured life where I can better devote time to the little ones.

Anyway I hope you have all enjoyed this post. I look forward to hearing your feedback. I have more tanks in the production line which should be completed, hopefully in the not too distant future. After that not too sure what I will do next. Perhaps some figures. For now though I hope you have a very good day/night and best of luck with whatever endeavours you have before you. :-D

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gowan!
    I was stuck on your previous blog(s), I didn't know this one! The tanks are not my favourite stuff, but I will take some time to have a look at everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I probably should have reconsidered the multiple blogs thing. Bit late now. Could probably at most have had two this one and the Oronegro one. Hope you like what you see on this blog. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad find I still 'follow' both your blog spots, Gowan. Looking at those Challenger tanks, I don't believe I have anything at all in my inventory that could ... erm ... accept their challenge. Leopard Is is the best I can do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe that I may have engaged in a little too much powercreep here. Although as the saying goes. That which does not kill, makes one stronger. Not really a very sensible thing to live by, however, in this case the damage these models relieved made way for upgrades far superior.

      I think the Leopard could have a fighting chance, so long as it didn't accept the challenge and chose to fight on it's terms. If it could surprise them from an advantageous position. Tank guerrilla warfare.

      Delete