Saturday 5 May 2012

the final piece of the puzzle, slums

well I got these done basically yesterday, they may not look like much but hey, slums don't look impressive. I made them out of card, wood, foam core and resin corro sheeting. but with these completed I can tell you all that I am going to take a nap. constructing these boards has been a rewarding and fun experience. but one that did not really please my parents, they did not like the way I took up the whole table to make one. so maybe it is for the best that I return now to painting a few glorious fig. but for any of you who prefer my boards, I have plenty more ideas and materials where those I have used came from and I am not about to leave the streets of La Ley with such a small representation, it is a big city and these are just the outskirts.
on the end of the board we find the slum. put up after the former building was blown up

a small drain runs past, the smell is unbarable

from above it is clear these huts are poorly built

a quick look inside reveals the squalor

2 soldiers patrol these empty huts

one finds an abandond room, he is glad he is wearing a gas mask, the smell is  worse than a dead rotting cow

the other reamains by the other rooms, he does not want to enter he can tell there is nothing alive in there already

the 2 men leave and explore more of the slum, that putride drain is nasty, but at least there is a fire to keep them warm
there you go. my final building for the group build. do not expect me to be entering more any time soon.

8 comments:

  1. You have some very clever ideas for scenery Gowan.

    If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been into wargaming ?

    Keep up the good work with the blog.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not gamed as of yet, though I am planning to test out wargaming with these boards. but as far as painting goes I would say 4-5 years

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed viewing what you have produced so far, Gowan. As my 'Latin Wars' have a similar Latin American setting (sort of) I appreciate the chance to see how someone else handles it, so I can pinch thir ideas... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed a piece of cardboard in one of these pictures that shows a fly-killer thingy. There's a part of that picture that cut out would make a fine drain or man-hole cover... Every little helps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes it does... I think that the paper might have gone into the paper recylcing pile so I am not going to see it again :-(. feel free to pinch my ideas, besides that is why I have the other blog to get yours and discuss my own. no intalecual copyright over my works (models)

      Delete
  4. Very nice piece of scenery Gowan!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete